Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What happened to this season?

Why are all my shows suddenly sucking?

I've given up on Fringe, even though it's been picked up for a full season. It just annoys me, for reasons I've ranted about before.

What happened to Heroes? It feels like I've seen this plotline before. (Hmmm, visions of a future apocalypse . . . let's figure out how to stop it. Wait, I've seen that one twice before.) The jumps into the future don't work for me. It's just not compelling and future Peter is even more lame than present Peter. And future Peter looks kinda like Mac on Always Sunny in Philadelphia. And the acting is kinda terrible. Jamie Hector a super villain? Meh. He was way scarier as a drug kingpin on The Wire. I'm about ready to drop the show. If it picks up, I can always catch up online or on DVD.

Has Entourage jumped the shark? Sunday's episode may have been the worst one they've ever done. The gang spaced on 'shrooms was just a car wreck of awkward acting. HBO just announced it'll be back for a new season next summer, but if the show doesn't correct its course, you have to wonder why.

Sons of Anarchy? It's good, sorta. But I still haven't watched last week's episode. So that means it's not compelling enough. But FX has green-lit a full season and they run a million reruns, so I'm sure I'll get back to it.

Even The Amazing Race seems lost. Where are the likable teams? OK, there are the Nerds, and maybe Ty and Aja (and is that pronounced "Aya" or "A-ja"?). But I soured on the brother and sister after he ditched the frat guy (don't flat-out promise to help someone and 10 seconds later renege. That's not strategy, that's being a dick). And pretty much everyone else annoys the hell out of me. TAR seems to be good every other year, and I guess that means I have to look forward to next season already.

Biggest disappointment? Pushing Daisies. Was it just me, or did the Season 2 premiere really lack something? I just didn't feel the cleverness oozing from every nook and cranny, like I did last season. It probably didn't help that the show had been off the air for almost a year. But I haven't given up on this one yet.

One bright note: Life on Mars is getting boffo reviews. So that's something to look forward to. The British version was great, and I really think this could become the big hit of the year. If, and that's a big if, it's done right. Here's hoping. . .

No comments: