Monday, January 12, 2009

American cheese

OK, so maybe I'll admit to belting out a Kelly Clarkson song or two with the radio as I sped across pastureland in Iceland a few years back (long story). But that doesn't mean I'll be tuning in to American Idol tonight. But half of the country will be.

The ratings juggernaut returns to Fox for an eighth season, and this season will have a few changes in order to spice things up. Most noticeably, a fourth judge has been added: Grammy-nominated (Oooh, Freudian slip -- I originally typed "Granny") songwriter/producer Kara DioGuardi. Apparently the British version has four judges, so the show is sort of returning to its roots. The ever-acerbic Simon Cowell will take a back seat and be used when needed as a tiebreaking vote. They'll also show less of the trainwreck auditions and bring more semifinalists to Hollywood.

Yawn. Whatever. Regardless of the changes, the show will still run its generic, cheesetastic pop machine roughshod over America, further eroding a once great musical culture. In protest, I'll be listening to some old Replacements albums.

But for any Idol worshippers out there, here's a link you might want to check out. My colleague, assistant sports editor and senior old-person music editor Bill Pinella, will be blogging about his love affair with the show. I'm sure it'll be special.

No comments: